Thursday, June 20, 2013

Cell Phones

In recent weeks, I've lost track of the battery that my cell phone has immediately before I attend mincha and/or maariv. The first time this happened, it was with a heavy heart that I left my phone at home charging while I went to daven.

Davening with kavanah became so much easier. I didn't have to worry about whether or not my phone was on silent! I didn't have to worry about receiving an email for work that "needs to be addressed immediately." I didn't pull out my phone in between mincha and maariv and instead learned. Fighting the temptation to look at my phone during chazaras hashatz is no longer there!

Now, when I remember, I pull out my cell phone and put it down before I go to shul.

My davening is better because of it.

2 comments:

  1. hatzlacha in your efforts. if you're older (like 40's) I think it will be easier. Leaving your phone at home is smart, might even be an inspiration to other mispallilim in your minyan...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I'm just a lad, mid-20's. It's really really challenging, especially now that I have clients who expect me to be by my phone literally 24/7, but it's very freeing to be able to daven without my phone weighing me down.

      Delete